On the Periphery

Things change. Life throws us curves and changeups. It's good to have a place to vent.

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Well, the end of an era. I started this blog when I started graduate school as a chronicle of my time struggling through with all those younger students. Now it's time to think about a new direction with my online presence. Yesterday was my graduation, my MFA in Creative Writing, a day that happened to fall exactly (to the day) four years from the day I began. 

It felt pretty darn good to walk across that stage with all those hopeful young people, knowing that despite our age difference, I shared their enthusiasm, their hope for the future. There's something about completing a project, a poem, a life's ambition, that lifts you beyond the norm, and I was thrilled and lucky to share the day with my proud sons and the amazing daughters they brought me.

I've always felt a little--no, a lot--on the periphery of life. I always seemed to be a facilitator, someone who sets groundwork\ and then watch others achieve. Even one of my life's greatest enjoyment--directing theater--involves getting everyone else prepared to be "on," while I watch from the sidelines. That's always been fine, though--I'm not so much of a spotlight person, and I loved what I did.

But graduate school was something different, something just for me, something I wanted to do if only to prove I could do it. And it was something for Richard, too, something he originally encouraged me to do, something of which he often told me he was very proud.

Now it's finished; I have climbed mountains both literally and figuratively, and I look forward with renewed enthusiasm to more peaks (and valleys) in my life. It's all exciting, it's all good, and I hope now it will all be happy.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Joyce! you are such a hard worker and such an amazing person. Sorry about your puppy, I know how heart breaking that is. I've read most of your blogs, I think Jessie told me about them. Fun reading. Jackie

4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats to you Joyce! You are such a hard worker. And my deepest sympathy for Buddy. Karen recently lost a dog she had for 14 years too as did Roxie. I've read most of your blogs here. Its been fun to see what you are thinking.Jessie told me about them. I'm so glad you are doing so well. Jackie

4:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Joyce!
Wish you all the best.
Dianne

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home