On the Periphery

Things change. Life throws us curves and changeups. It's good to have a place to vent.

Friday, January 18, 2008

Killing my Babies

I haven't logged in for a while now because I have been in the throes of thesis revision, "killing my babies," as my advisor puts it. One of the hardest things for a writer to do is to cut a scene or passage he or she lovingly crafted and feels is so beautifully written it makes the reader cry. Unfortunately, often that very passage is dead weight, and must be eliminated or heavily revised in order to work. I know, intellectually, that every passage, every sentence, every word must actively do something to earn its place: it must either reveal character or move a story along or provide a necessary sense of setting or tone. If it doesn't, cut it out or make it useful.

In the process, I have made an interesting discovery in one of my stories: by eliminating much of the deadwood, I have found my story actually has a focus different from what I originally thought it was! Fascinating! That's when writing is fun for me--when my story takes on its own life and pulls me along for the ride. The ensuing rush is worth the pain when new, stronger "babies" pop up.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home